On Thursday 04 May 2006 05:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Monday 01 May 2006 11:51 pm, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:18, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
> > >   CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
> >
> > no, just no. This breaks enough stuff. Do not tell others to use it. If
> > you want to use it. Fine. But do not tell anybody else to do it.
>
> Why I asked before doing.  What is it?

it hiddes some symbols in libs. It can make startup a lot faster, but it can
also break a lot of things.
prelink is much saver ...

> > >   MAKEOPTS="-j2"
> >
> > -j1 is a good one for singlecore/single cpu computer, where the compiling
> > is running in the background.
>
> Okay.  That sounds non-violate.

> > > Do you really need all these USE flags and features? I think not.. Add
> > > USE flags that really are useful not add them just because they might
> > > become useful sometime.. The more features you have in your packages,
> > > the slower and more memory hungry they are.. Take a look at my USE
> > > flags..
> >
> > you think - but you don't know what he wants and needs.
>
> I didn't change many from the defaults because I didn't know what most of
> them were.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.
>
> > btw, I would emerge ufed and work down the list....
>
> I'll emerge it now, and ask you what on earth it is now as well.

ufed

use flag editor

When you start it, you see all useflags listed, if it is active (X before its
name),  where it is set (the space in the brackets behind the name) and the
description of the flag. man ufed has the details ;)

Just read the descriptions and decide.. easy.
If you are not sure about disabling something, leave it in the default state.

make an emerge --newuse --ask world after you have finished.