> Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
>
> > Hi folks
> >
> > I have a couple of issues on my laptop that I would like to get
wrapped
> > up in the easiest method possible
> >
> > 1. Flashcards / memory sticks
> >     - Right now -- in order to mount my camera cards / thumb drives
> > -- I have to become root -- its easy, but an annoyance - I have
looked
> > at automount and that is FAR more problems than im willing to go
through
> > (the shortest set of instructions ive seen so far for automount is
like
> > 3 pages), so if I could get it set up so that I can just do the
mount
> > commands as my user instead of having to su it would be nice
>
> Google for "gentoo dbus" or "gentoo hal".  You want three programs.
> Hal, D-Bus and ivman.  Hal and gentoo are real easy, you basically
> emerge and have them start at boot.  ivman is the app that listens for
> events and will carry out actions in a nice and easy xml file.  There
is
> a system wide config and a per-user config.  You can tell it to launch
> totem/xine/mplayer if a DVD is inserted or mount your camera, usb key,
> etc.
>
> > 2. Energy saver thingy
> >     - after about 10 minutes or so of inactivity, the screen shuts
> > off under power saver -- I cant seem to find how to prevent this
from
> > happening, and could use some guidance
>
> Is it a BIOS thing?  What kind of laptop?  I have a new Toshiba laptop
> and Toshiba did away with a real BIOS for some custom one with very
few
> settings.
>
> > 3. I need a good VPN Client with easy gui
> >     - right now our school has a VPN set up on the cisco pix that
> > works beautifully with a Microsoft VPN connection on a windows box,
> > need to be able to access this with my gentoo laptop as well
>
> I can't help here.  I have to use a Nortel VPN client.  Their Linux
> version just doesn't work.  I paid $100 for it!  My only option has
been
> to use VMWare and vpn into work that way.  I needed VMWare anyway for
MS
> Dev stuff.  I think I read somewhere that it is pretty easy to connect
> to ciso VPN with Linux.  A quick eix search shows these ebuilds:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ eix -Ss -c cisco
> [N] dev-perl/Net-Telnet-Cisco (): Automate telnet sessions w/
> routers&switches
>
> [N] net-analyzer/ipcad (): IP Cisco Accounting Daemon
>
> [N] net-analyzer/ndsad (): Cisco netflow probe from libpcap, ULOG,
> tee/divert sources.
>
> [N] net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils (): Cisco Aironet Client
Utilities

> [N] net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des (): Cisco VPN Client (3DES)
>
> [N] net-misc/vpnc (): Free client for Cisco VPN routing software
>
> > 4. I need to be able to use a USB to Serial dongle to talk to my
> > switches -- the adapters that I have are Triplite ones and I do have
the
> > driver disk for windows -- along with this, I need a good
communications
> > program (equivalent to hyperterm ) to use with them to talk to my
> > switches and to my UPS
>
> I never used one.  However I just compiled my kernel and there seems
> be a whole bunch.  Run make menuconfig and take a look at:
>
> Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Serial Converter support
>
> > Thanks folks - any pointers and/or suggestions are gladly welcomed

[Timothy A. Holmes]

Hi Jim -- thanks for the response

The card mounting stuff looks good, but is gonna require more time than
I have right now to spend to set it up -- I will file it for future
refrence.

As far as the VPN Stuff - unfortunately, this is a cisco pix 501, and
from what I can tell, it doesn't use the standard protocols (sadly) I
tried the cisco client on another box and it just sat there and looked
at me

Thanks for the tip on the kernel stuff - I'll check into it when I do my
next kernel build -- (something I avoid like the plague) --

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11