On Wed, 10 May 2006, Devon Miller wrote:

> This message is being issued by /sbin/module-update. It is called from
> /etc/init.d/modules to update /etc/modules.conf. It's complaining because
> /boot has not been mounted yet. As far as I can tell, /boot is treated no
> differently than any other non-root filesystem.
>
> Ultimately, I think, the fault lies in /sbin/rc which should be checking for
> /boot being a filesystem and mounting it up front.

Unless it has changed recently, the system I just installed last month
actually looks for it in /usr/src/linux, not /boot. It still complains
during boot even though I actually have one there, presumably it is looking
before filesystems are mounted.

I considered opening a bug, but it wasn't that important and I never really
got around to it.

A kludgy temporary fix would be:

# mount -o bind /dev/<rootdev> /mnt
# mkdir -p /mnt/usr/src/linux
# cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /mnt/usr/src/linux
# umount /mnt

8-/...

----

# We also call depmod here to stop insmod from complaining that
modules.conf
# is more recent then modules.dep
#
if [ -d "`depdir`" -a -f /proc/modules ]
then
        if [ -f /usr/src/linux/System.map ]; then
                depmod -a -F /usr/src/linux/System.map ${KV}
        else
                ewarn "System.map not found - unable to check symbols"
        fi
fi
----

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]