On 5/12/06, plougher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Richard Fish write:
> From what I can tell, there are no really good compressing filesystems
available currently.

I would disagree, Squashfs is an advanced read-only compressing filesystem,

I should have said read-write filesystem.

What I would really like to see is something like reiser4's plugin
scheme brought up to the VFS layer in the kernel, so that any
filesystem could gain transparent compression.  I have no use for
compression on backup disks, since I use programs that support
compression internally.  But I would love to be able to compress my
normal filesystems /, /var, and /usr/portage.  Being a laptop user, I
could actually get more speed from those volumes if they were
compressed, depending upon the algorithm used.

-Richard