I've configued the rp-pppoe following the updated instruction in Gentoo Handbook,  and my ADSL modem can be brought up at start up , however, the pppoe-status always returns message says that the PID file could not be found (which is definity wrong!). my network was working of course..  so.  I  found  this  issue  was caused by the $PIDFILE  which is defined in the /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and read by pppoe-status script. but the comment right above that line says:

# NB: Gentoo overrides PIDFILE when pppoe-start is run from the
# networking scripts.  This setting has no effect in that case.

# below is the original definition
#PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-pppoe.pid"

# Still wrong after I comment out the line above, so I have to change like this:
PIDFILE="/var/run/rp-pppoe-eth0.pid"

It works now though, I wonder if this is a small bug, i.e.  the $PIDFILE has never been defined except in the pppoe.conf,
and unfortunately, the only definition is not correct..