On 5/13/06, Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 5/13/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 5/13/06, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >    I wonder if anyone could explain the USE flag 'unicode' better than
>> > the Gentoo description located here:
>> >
>> > http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
>> >
>> > unicode         Adds support for Unicode
>> >
>> >    I think the person who wrote this knows too much. ;-)
>>
>> Or figured the reader would know how to use google... :-)
>>
>> http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html
>>
>> -Richard
>
> That much I did before writing. There are lots of similar sites. Thanks.
>
> However, being a musican and not a computer scientist all of that is
> mostly gibberish to lower life forms such as myself. The unicode flag
> possibility shows up on some new emerges for fonts. I suppose they are
> then fonts that use 16-bits instead of whatever they use when I don't
> include the unicaode flag. All that stated, then question still
> arises, why would I want these on my system?

Do you speak languages other then English?

No, I barely speak English actually....

If so, that is where Unicode
can come in.  It can handle a lot more characters then just the English
alphabet.

OK, so I thought that was what I was accomplishing that with the cjk
flag and by adding UTF8 to my kernel .config file. There is one place
I have required this support in the past. I have digitized my complete
CD collection and found that a number of CDs had special accents on
(mostly) French and German names. However it seemed that adding the
stuff I speak of was enough. POssibly it was just enough to get by?

I only speak and read English and have no need for those "funny"
characters so I built my systems with a global use flag of -unicode.

It won't hurt to include Unicode.  Basically if you want to work with
any language other then English, just enable Unicode.

I guess I'll look more deeply into it.

Thanks,
Mark