On Sun, 14 May 2006, Tito Valentin wrote:

> Thierry,
>
> Here is what my sound card is based on lspci:
>
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
> AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
> I can add the card manually when I do:
>
> # modprobe snd
>
> But after that, if I play something I get the following error:

Did you compile the hardware driver for your specific device, on top of
alsa? It should be in Device Drivers>Sound>Sound Card
Support>Alsa>Alsa>PCI Devices>Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller

If you build and load that module, or build it into the kernel, alsa
should actually be able to use your card (the module would be
snd-intel8x0m).