>   Sorry - I thought it was clear from my description. Everyone is
> using the word 'unicode' in the definition of 'unicode', or so it is
> seeming to me. I've managed to get far enough to understand it's a
> different way of expressing font usage, I guess, but I don't
> understand when someone would want it or when they would not need it.

do you know utf8, do you know latin1, ISO-8859-15 or other things like
these?

Anyway:

unicode ist an approach to assign one number to each "letter" or "sign"
that is out there in the world. That's all.

Well, in latin1/ISO-8859-1 you only have a basic rule: 1 byte per character

You see? Only 1 byte, only 256 numbers and so only space for 256
characters - but there are >3000 chinesese symbols.

So latin1 is a european charset and it contains most of the
character/signs europeans need. But the trouble is: if an application
internally works with latin1 only, how should it reprensent the chinese
symbols?

Think of your webbrowser: you can use it, to view european pages and
also chinese pages. Yes, your browser uses unicode internally and that's
very practical, because in unicode, he can represent every
character/sign that's out there.

Greetings,
  Sven