On 5/16/06, Remy Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
certainly gave qemu a nice speed boost. What's more annoying at the
moment is the slow graphics emulation, and the fact that I cannot
emulate my full screen (1920x1200) in qemu. Is VMWare able to do that,
and how fast is the graphics emulation?

Well I won't speak to using a linux guest on a windows host, as I run
the other way around.

But yes, I run 1920x1200 on my laptop, and VMWare is easily capable of
that resolution.  It also runs quite fast at least for 2d operations.
VMWare installs a custom, accelerated graphics driver for windows
guests, and I am estimating it makes the graphics run at maybe 50% of
native.  I have not actually benchmarked this in any sane way, so I
can't say for certain.  But I know that rapidly dragging a window
around in circles places about a 50% load on the CPU, which is about
the same as doing the same thing under Linux.  The window updates are
not as fast as under Linux, but still very quick.

Playing 30fps video files is possible, but will stretch the system to
it's limits with large or full-screen windows.

In 5.5, there is also initial support for 3d graphics.  I have that
enabled currently, and seems to provide yet another small speed boost.
But I haven't tried to run games, google earth, or any other 3d
applications to see how well they perform.

-Richard