On 5/17/06, maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This has gotta be the problem. Or most of it. I've
been going along all this time separately mounting a
/boot partition, formatted ext2 and a root partitiion,
formatted reiserfs which already has a "boot" dir
attached. Is that the one that actually boots? Is it
even a problem? How did it get there? Better yet, how
do I explain this to the bug folks?

Yes, this is almost certainly the problem.

Regarding the issue of which one boots, it is a bit of a difficult
question to answer.  Since you do not have a /boot/grub directory on
your root filesystem, I am going to assume that grub is not looking at
the files on on your root filesystem for it's configuration.  By this
I mean that grub needs a grub.conf or menu.lst file to tell it what
boot options to present, and since you seem to have only one of those
(in the /grub directory on your /boot filesystem), it must be looking
at that one.

Now if you use root(hd0,1) in your grub.conf file, then you are using
the files on /dev/sda2.  If it shows root(hd0,6), then you are trying
to boot from files on /dev/sda7.  But actually you don't need to
specify a root, you could just as easily list your kernel as
(hd0,1)/vmlinuz, so check for that as well.

What really disturbs me about what you have just posted though is that
the root filesystem's /boot directory was updated recently (May 9th).
This tells me that in some cases you are installing kernels without
/boot mounted (I think I asked this as a 'stupid question' before...),
and in other cases are doing it correctly with /boot mounted.

So here is what I would suggest.  Since you seem to like using
'vmlinuz' as the name of your kernel, you can create an empty,
immutable vmlinuz file in the root filesystem's /boot/.  This will
give you an error if you ever try to overwrite it with a new kernel.
This should work:

umount /boot
rm /boot/vmlinuz
touch /boot/vmlinuz
chattr +i /boot/vmlinuz
mount /boot

If you ever try to overwrite the root filesystem's vmlinuz again, you
will get "Permission denied".  Example:

carcharias rjf # cp -v
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-suspend2-r5/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
`/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-suspend2-r5/arch/i386/boot/bzImage' -> `/boot/vmlinuz'
cp: cannot create regular file `/boot/vmlinuz': Permission denied

Can you please post your /boot/grub/grub.conf.  If you have posted
this before, I apologize, but I can't seem to find it in the previous
threads.

-Richard