On Thursday 18 May 2006 02:17, JC Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about '[gentoo-user] Probems with radeon and drm after using
kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r7':
> Hello!
>
>  I am building a kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r7 but I have a problem. First I
> tried to use greempt for the cpu. Because this does not work I build the
> kernel without again. But I still get :
>
>  drm: version magic '2.6.16-gentoo-r7 PENTIUMM gcc-3.4' should be
> '2.6.16-gentoo-r7 preempt PENTIUMM gcc-3.4' [drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1
> 20051102
>  radeon: version magic '2.6.16-gentoo-r7 PENTIUMM gcc-3.4' should be
> '2.6.16-gentoo-r7 preempt PENTIUMM gcc-3.4'
>
>   Any ideas about this?

Your out-of-tree modules are still compiled against your old config.  To
fix this:

1) Correct your /usr/src/linux symlink, if needed, so that it points to the
source tree of your running kernel.
2) Make sure the /usr/src/linux/.config file matches your running config.
If you have no qualms about trampling the existing file this is easy
enough to do with 'zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config'.
3) emerge module-rebuild
4) module-rebuild -X rebuild

That should make sure the modules installed are appropriate for your
running kernel.

It could also be that your in-tree modules got compiled, but never
installed over the old versions.  If that's the case, follow steps 1 and 2
above, but then:
3) cd /usr/src/linux; make modules_install

That will compile the modules against the current config (if necessary) and
install them under /lib/modules/$(uname -r) where modprobe expects them to
be.
--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest