On 5/17/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/17/06, Kevin O'Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  As things stand, I can start my virtual machine (the current one runs
>  Minix) only as root.   I can start vmware as a user, but any attempt to
>  start my VM brings up a message about it not being able to connect
>  to its peer (whatever that is), and the VM does not start.

Add your user to the 'vmware' group.

Thanks, Richard, that did the trick.

>  When I run as root, things seem better, but it complains that it was
>  unable to extablish an IP number for the simulated ethernet card
>  (networking is set up for NAT).

I'm not sure I did anything for this, but the networking seems to have been
fixed, or fixed itself, or something.

Did you use the portage installation of vmware-workstation, or
download direct?  IME, the portage installation works much better...

Using the portage version.

-Richard