On May 21, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Cliff Wells wrote:

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 11:52 -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

I have not used it though I plan on getting the OS X version once my
Mac Mini arrives...

I have doubts about the performance of a VM on that hardware. I've got
a mini and it's not fast (at least running Linux).  Usable for
general-purpose stuff but it feels pretty sluggish if I ask it to do
anything heavy. I don't know any benchmarks, but if I had to give you a
"feel" describing it, I'd put it on par with a 1GHz PIII with a slow
drive and not *quite* enough memory.   In short, it's great for doing
testing on or just day-to-day stuff, but I think running a VM may be out
of its league.

On a 1.66ghz Core Duo Intel Mac Mini? Or are you talking the 1.42ghz single CPU G4 Mac Mini, the older Mini? The Intel Core Duo is a worthy chip.

Obviously I am going to hike the memory up. Lots of people have already given a thumbs up to Parallels in a Core Duo mini with extra RAM added for normal non-gaming use. I just need to run Windows for tax SW, testing web pages in IE, etc. My old Athlon box is starting to develop some disk issues and is old and cranky :-)

Chad

If you can, replace the disk with a 5400RPM drive which will help a lot.

Regards,
Cliff

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC