* On May 25 11:45, Lord Sauron (gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org) wrote:
> I've found (after much exploration) that there is a archive:
> /portage-20060123.tar.bz2

This is just a remnant from when you installed Gentoo.  You can delete
that file.  Portage is already using uncompressed files under
/usr/portage - that tarball is just a "starter" tarball that portage
bootstraps itself with during the initial Gentoo installation.

> I also think that there's another file, /metadata.tar.bz2, which I
> think is portage-related.  If possible I'd like to uncompress that as
> well.

I've never seen a metadata tarball.  metadata.xml is something portage
keeps uncompressed in /usr/portage for every package.

> It takes about as long to start going as it does to open the archive
> /portage-20060123.tar.bz2 - conincidence?  I think not!

I think so ;)

Tom