On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:00 -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:
> On 5/25/06, Thomas Kirchner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > It takes about as long to start going as it does to open the archive
> > > /portage-20060123.tar.bz2 - conincidence?  I think not!
> >
> > I think so ;)
>
> If it's not, then I really need to ask why on earth portage takes so
> long to just index and search packages that took apt-get much less
> time to work with.

In defence of portage, I estimate there are 11229 packages that portage
has to search through descriptions, dependencies, masks, etc:

$ cd /usr/portage; find . -maxdepth 2 -mindepth 1 -type d | wc -l
11229

does apt-get really search this many packages?

>   I don't think it should be this slow.

And I don't think I should have this little money :)  But seriously, I
think you trade off speed when searching, vs speed when syncing, vs
keeping a database up to date.  As already mentioned, there are other
tools to help speed it up.

Also,

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 11:45 -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:

> I also get the bonehead award: there was a new kernel sitting on my
> hard drive and just yesterday I found and installed it.  It was
> remarkably easy to install!  I loaded the configuration file from my
> old kernel and then just make && make install and it worked!  I didn't
> even have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst!

Are you sure you're running it if you didn't have to edit grub?  Does
`uname -r` agree with the new version you just installed?

cya,

A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer.
                -- Robert Frost