On Fri, 26 May 2006, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:

> Steven Susbauer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 26 May 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >

> > >I should have included that in my original email, of course:
> > >
> > >$ grep USE  /etc/make.conf | grep -v "^#"
> > >USE="berkdb innodb"
> > >
> > >I have no /usr/portage/package.use
> > >
> > >$ grep USE  /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
> > >USE="alsa apm arts avi bitmap-fonts cups eds emboss encode fortran
> > >foomaticdb
> > >gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad
> > >mikmod
> > >motif mp3 mpeg ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pdflib png qt quicktime sdl spell
> > >truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis X xml2 xmms xv"
> > >
> > >AHA!
> > >
> > >but the man page for emerge says not to edit
> > >/etc/make.profile/make.defaults.
> > >How do I get X out of there? If in fact that's the cause of my problem?
> > >
> > >Michael
> > >

> > Everything you put in /etc/make.conf should be based on the
> > make.defaults, or possible things you want enabled.
> > If X is in make.defaults, add -X to make.conf to disable it. You should
> > probably add "-X -opengl -gnome -gtk -gtk2 -kde -qt" to /etc/make.conf at
> > least, that should hopefully fix your issues.
> >
> > -Steven
> Curious that "X" should be in make.defaults.  Does that mean that the devs
> think that everyone wants X loaded?
>
> Tony

I think the basic default use flags are meant to be for a "general
purpose" system, which would usually include X. If you are lazy and don't
want to change your use flags, chances are you won't have to, at least not
very much, to have all of your programs work. If you're able to use the
system without X installed, it's most likely assumed you can add -X to
make.conf.