That was the hint I needed. It's /bin/bash, which reminded me I just changed something in .bashrc which outputs a message and does some other stuff which must be confusing scp. In fact, I just confirmed that by commenting it out. Now scp works too.
So: PROBLEM SOLVED.

Now I just have to figure out how to tailor it some more so the offending code is skipped
for 'scp'.  That I can do.

bash has a built-in variable that tells you what the command was....should be able to test for "scp" in your script.... i've never tried to get that fancy with .bashrc.