Firstly - my apologies for the messed up titles of my replies. I
hadn't been able to get posts accepted on the list from GMail
(probably because I was using a different 'from' address than my gmail
address). Anyway I have to use the pieces of sh** Outlook and Exchange
at work, and I hadn't noticed all the [SPAM] tags it had added...

I am trying to get an rsync server running on my Gentoo server box in

I've sorted the problem I was having. It was of course me
mis-understanding how rsync works. I was not after simply connecting
to my server using rsync via ssh, but setting it up as an rsync
server...

It turns out that I had the server set up correctly (and it seems it
is simple to restrict access to our main PC's IP address so that
unwanted intruders - such as the kids on their PC ;-) - are kept out.

It seems I was using the wrong client-dside command:

rsync -avz test.xml 192.168.0.100:rsync

should have been

rsync -avz test.xml 192.168.0.100::rsync

i.e. with two colons!

Cheers,

--
Ant...