On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 00:36 -0500, Teresa and Dale wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
> >just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
>
> Could you put /usr/portage on a dvd and just mount it there?  A dvd
> should hold a lot of source files.  You could also use a NFS to access
> the files.  Just put all the souce tarballs on one machine and share
> them with the rest.  Just a idea.

These PC's have no removable media drives, and when they go "into the
field", they don't have any other hosts around them to share with.  I
want to be able to dial up and install the odd package that I forgot to
test properly at the office :)

thanks,

  If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive!
  -Samuel Goldwyn