On Friday 02 June 2006 16:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:44:46 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > > --deep is an option, and I understand why you choose not to use it,
> > > but on this occasion it is necessary to accomplish the OP's goal.
> >
> > and I really do not believe that ;)
>
> Believe what you like, I am relating direct experiences here. Faith has
> nothing to do with it.
>
> > If a package is 'hit' by the new flag, --newuse should cover it. With
> > or without --deep-
>
> When run with --update only, emerge considers only those packages listed
> in world and their direct dependencies. Lower level dependencies won't be
> looked at, so portage won;t pick up the changed USE flag.
>
> From the man page
>
> --deep (-D)
>
> When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge to
> consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of checking only
> the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an example, this catches
> updates in libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of
> a package.

UPDATES

not NEWUSE

also from man emerge:
     --newuse (-N)
              Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags  have
              changed  since  compilation.   An asterisk marks when a USE flag
              has changed since the package was compiled.

and I have seen 'far away' dependencies, that got rebuild, without deep!