last week I built a kernel for my home router. It works
fine. Configuring the kernel I used these instructions:
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml#doc_chap2_pre2>.

Now, I try to configure a 2.6.16 kernel instead of a 2.6.15
and I cannot find the configuration options any more:

  [*] IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT)
    (all below)

I was sure it was me who forgot to activate another option
somewhere else. But I opened two terminal windows side by
side, compared, and still cannot find it. I diffed the
`.config' files, too.

Copying the IP_NF_* part into the `.config' file yields
these warnigs when executing `make menuconfig' next time:

  .config:338:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT

Did I miss something essential?

Nope. You have to enable netfilter xtables support first.
HTH