1) periodic(8) -- run periodic system functions.  runs daily, weekly,
monthly and security scripts.  These scripts do everything from check
rejected emails to backing up the passwd file.  It's also got a local
facility where I can put my own scripts in.  It's run out of cron and
emails the output of the periodic output nice and clean.  I
understand that I can manually manufacture the equivalent scripts,
but I was hoping there was something similar out there.

I don't see how this is any different to just using cron?

Ye, you need sys-process/vixie-cron.
Then you may have a look at app-forensics/aide
which checks for altered files in selected dirs.
And probably app-admin/tenshi - log parsing and notification.

HTH,
Sasha