At Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:07:44 +0200 Benno Schulenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> These examples are admittedly rather comtrived.  My google search
>> result (posted a few msgs ago) gave the three step sequence you
>> quoted above.
>
> When googling for advice, you may want to include "site:gentoo.org"
> in your terms, and maybe even "handbook".

Terrific suggestion.  Thanks.

> Searching for 'blocking site:gentoo.org handbook' gives a link to a
> Portage Introduction and one to a Quick Install Guide that although
> very terse are together clear enough, in my opinion.
>
>>   However, if A was originally in world and not depended upon
>>   by anything else, it will not be remerged.  If A is still needed
>
> If A was in world, it was by definition not needed.  Sure, the user
> wanted the package, but that is something else.  :)

Cute.  Not relevant, but indeed cute.  -:)

>>   it must be explicitly emerged.
>
> No need to tell the user that: she will remember which packages she
> wants to have installed.

A rather optimistic assumption.  One might have originally emerged A
quite a *long* time ago.

Nonetheless, I must agree that your procedure will work nearly all the
time, and the extra coverage I offered may well be offset by the extra
complexity of the wording, which is not needed in nearly all cases.

allan