[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> OK, I assume we are talking about Apache web server here. If that's the
> case I would suppose you are missing the following in your "httpd.conf":
> -----
> <Directory /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin/>
> Options ExecCGI
> SetHandler cgi-script
> </Directory>

Thanks, I seem to have gotten that functionality some other way
because currently cgi works anywhere under $public_html.

My setting is quite a bit different:

    <Directory /home/*/public_html>
        AllowOverride All
        Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Includes ExecCGI
    </Directory>

Yet cgi is recognized and executed anywhere under: Directory
/home/*/public_html/

Something that is really puzzling here is that with a default
non-inclusive statement like this over '/':

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

I can still execute all cgi under Directory /home/*/public_html and
any subdirectories.

However I appears I have to explicitly set execCGI for any sub
directories under $htdocs

I have these in place but pretty sure they are not very pretty:

<Directory /var/www/localhost/htdocs/>
    Options All MultiViews Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/localhost/htdocs/exp>
    Options All MultiViews Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>

I could not execute cgi at /var/www/localhost/htdocs/exp without an
explicit Directory statment.

If I were to hit a cgi at /var/www/localhost/htdocs/othersub
It will not fire but display like file and error log message from
apache2 saying I don't have execCGI in that directory.

That is, execCGI is recursive under $public_html but only goes one
directory at a time under $htdocs (/var/www/localhost/htdocs)

I'm pretty sure this is the reason:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/

But without that apache doesn't now about /cgi-bin/

Maybe the ScriptAlias should be set inside the Directory statement of
/var/www/localhost?  Is that even a possible way to do things?