On Sunday 11 June 2006 18:44, Mick wrote:
> Same here.  It shows:
> =======================
> Available backends:
>
> Gpg(ME)
>   OpenPGP (gpg)
>   S/MIME (gpgsm)
>
> Chiasmus
>   Chiasmus (failed)
> =======================

This is identical to mine.

> OpenPGP seems to work a treat, but S/MIME complains of a missing backend.

I have no explanation for that. Mine doesn't complain about missing backend.

I do have an S/MIME certificate that my government has had issued for me. I
have imported it in KDE Control Center -> Security & Privacy -> Crypto ->
Your Certificates. In Kmail in Configure KMail -> Identities -> Modify ->
Cryptography it shows up when I select an S/MIME signing/encryption
certificate for my identity with the matching email address.

But until now I have never tried to actually use it in KMail. ;) When I try to
do so it gives me the following very informative error message:

"Signing failed: General error"

;)

[SNIP]

> PS.  Your signature on this message is shown as an attachment called
> "noname" in Gmail gui.  Some other sigs are shown as "signature.asc".
> How can one control this?

I use an OpenPGP signature. I have no clue how Gmail handles signatures since
I use Kmail. In KMail it shows up as a:

"Detached OpenPGP Signature"

--
Bo Andresen