I moved my /var to a new disk and now amarok will nor work because it can't connect to mysql Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

If I /etc/init.d/mysql stop
 * Caching service dependencies ...                              [ ok ]
 * WARNING:  mysql has not yet been started.

If I /etc/init.d/mysql start
 *  ...
 * Starting mysql (/etc/mysql/my.cnf)
* MySQL NOT started (0)
If I just type mysql, I get the following error:-
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

So it looks as if I have really screwed up moving /var
The /var/run/mysql directory is empty

Check the permissions on /var/run/mysql.
It should be owned by mysql.
What's in mysql logs? They're probably in /var/log/mysql

Sasha