Yea, of course you can do that, though you have to be careful if your
kernel tree has changed to a different version than the one you're
booted from (usually you can still just force the module to load, but
a module from a different kernel tree may not want to play nicely with
everything else).

On 6/12/06, Anthony E. Caudel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Weyershäuser wrote:
> I usualy start with a kernel with almost everything compiled in (but
> only things I definitely need), only using modules when I have to
> (USB for suspend2 comes to my mind). Over time whenever I need
> something new (filesystem, hardware driver,...) I tend to compile it
> as a module to avoid a reboot. As I do not upgrade my kernel very
> often this happens more often than you might think (last upgrade was
> from 2.6.11 to 2.6.16, on my laptop from 2.6.10 to 2.6.16).
>
> I don't really care about the 300k more used memory (hardly worth a
> thought on systems with 1 GB RAM and more) or the 0.3 seconds faster
> boot process. Modules just come in handy when it comes to avoiding a
> reboot.

OK, this seems to confirm something I had suspected but never
investigated: - that you can compile just a module without the need to
recompile and install a revised kernel.  This is possible?

How?  "make modules_install" or the whole thing: "make && make
modules_install" then just modprobe the new module?

Tony
   -- Benjamin Franklin