On 6/12/06, Bob Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That being said, seems these two articles appear to be giving out bad
information:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=282474&highlight=

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229.html

Yes, I would have to agree.  The first is just so utterly wrong I
can't actually read it all the way through.

I also have problems with the second, aside from the gcc issues.  It
puts a lot of effort into fine-tuning hdparm settings, but misses the
noatime option in fstab that actually makes a much bigger difference.
And it recommends -nptlonly, without any reasoning why.  Of course it
is also marked as "deprecated", with a link to the new version, but
that requires some kind of login to access.

But basically the forums, the wiki, and even this mail list are all
"buyer beware!"  They are all unofficial, and there is no quality
control other that what is provided by other users.

Heck, don't even trust me without doing some of your own research.  I
will sometimes mention whatever official sources support my position,
but usually only if I am trying to make a particularly strong
argument.  If I make an unsupported assertion, you *should* question
it!  *I may not* actually know what I am talking about!

appreciate it if someone would correct any mis-statements. Lastly, since the
Gentoo handbook no longer describes a stage one install, is there any
"official" documentation that describes the *correct* way to do a stage3
install and end up with the same level of optimization and customization
that used to be provided by a stage1 install?

The FAQ entry:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml?style=printable#stage12

Note that although the faq is about installing from stage1 (or
stage2), it really doesn't say how to install from stage1.  It tells
how to get to the same point from a stage3 install.

There was a discussion about this on gentoo-dev late last year.  While
not 'official documentation', it is at least from people who should
know what they are talking about:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/33251/match=decision+remove+stage1+2

So the answer seems to be:

1. Install a stage3 as documented