On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:39:48AM +0000, Josh S wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> when I load up gentoo it loads up a basic console login and when I try to
> startx it loads up a really basic X interface with two terminals and a
> analog looking clock. When I try to  use xfce-session it loads up xfce but
> things are out of place and it looks more like a basic X session.

It sounds like you're getting a TWM session.  More savvy (and helpful)
list members would point you to a helpful wiki page or something, but
there are a couple of ways to do what you need.  Which is the 'official'
way or the gentoo-sanctioned way I don't quite know.

First you can have an ~/.xinitrc or an ~/.xsession file which are
semantically equivalent.  Here's a sample ~/.xsession (or ~/.xinitrc)

# load XFCE
xfce &

You can also modify your /etc/rc.conf file:

XSESSION="xfce"

Another way to select which Xsession to run is to define the XSESSION
enviornment variable in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile

export XSESION=xfce

Justin