On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:26:01 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > If you use /etc/rc.conf to set your desktop (the Gentoo way) then
> > booting to a console and running startx will give you twm.
> > alternatively, you could emerge another window manager, such as
> > Fluxbox.

> I guess I do.  /etc/rc.conf contains
> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
> XSESSION="kde-3.2.1"
>  (but it brings up KDE 3.5).  What is "booting to a console"?  I used to
> know
> about runlevels until Gentoo made hash of the old way of doing things.
> Now I can boot "single" and that's as much as I know.

I use a separate runlevel, text, that has the same as default apart from
X and a couple of others. Then I have a GRUB menu entry with
"softlevel=text"

Alternatively, you could remove xdm from the default runlevel while
messing with this, or emerge fluxbox and choose that when logging in
instead of KDE. Or you could switch to a VC and stop /etc/init.d/xdm
before proceeding.

> > I'd like to
> > > practice this before I destroy my system.
> >
> > I love your optimism :)

> You'd rather I practiced after it's too late?

Not at all. I would advocate practicing before *risking* destroying your
system, it was your certainly about the destruction that caught my eye :)

> I've been around too
> long to think optimism is a good strategy in the face of system
> problems.  Besides, some of your .signature choices aren't exactly
> polyanna stuff.  :o)  I particularly like the one about bugs and
> entropy.

Hoisted by my own petard :)

--
Neil Bothwick

It's only a hobby ... only a hobby ... only a