On 6/14/06, Daniel da Veiga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/14/06, Jesse Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2. If I want to upgrade and rebuild my entire system (using a new gcc), is:
>         emerge -u gcc
>         emerge -e world
> the right thing to do? Am I missing anything there?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
Has everything you need to know...

Yes, definitely follow the guide.

During the emege -e world, if you use MAKEOPTS=-jN, where N>1, you may
notice some things fail to build (at least I did).  Doing a
"MAKEOPTS=-j1 emerge -e --resume world" is the way around most
problems.

Also, if you use KDE, you may want to checkout the kdehiddenvisibility
flag before commencing the emerge -e world.  Setting it should improve
KDE startup times.  I can't say I noticed a dramatic speedup, but my
laptop is definitely at the high-end of the performance range...

-Richard