I finally figured out why linux wouldn't build its modules.  Although I
learned a lot about make it was because I had set

GREP_OPTIONS="--color=always"

in my /root/.bashrc which is sourced by shell invocations from make (and
odd shell scripts as well, like configure scripts).  So, the lesson is,
don't modify common shell utilities in ~/.bashrc or strange things might
happen.  There are a couple of safe alternatives for grep colors.  You
can move GREP_OPTIONS to ~/.bash_profile which is only sourced by login
shells, or you can define

alias cgrep="--color=always"

In keeping with the shell color theme I have also defined:

alias less="less -R"
alias tree="tree -C"

Justin