On Friday 16 June 2006 03:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hi,
> >

> > well, you gave an example why I never use -D (deep) updates.
> >
> > I bet something 'broke'  because a dependency got updated.
>
> What is the advantage of never using `deep'... seems I recall reading
> here that it was sort of necessary after a major update and sync.
>
> > Try revdep-rebuild, maybe it will solve the problem.
>
> Well it found a pretty basic package to be broken:
> gcc-4.1.1F and is not running this:
> emerge --oneshot  =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1F
>
> I think this will run for a while.... do think it will have bearing on
> the slow redraw I see?

no, maybe it is fontconfig, maybe your update changed the opengl you are using
(have you checked, that you are using nvidia-glx as a nvidia user and
atis-glx as ati user?), maybe something else. Do you have amd64 and
cool'n'quiet activated? Or a P4 that is overheating and throttling?

--deep is almost never needed. Some people love it and tell everybody to use
it. Usually people who are version number freaks. But in 90% it is useless to
harmfull.