Mick wrote:

I'm off now emerging netcat, but I noticed that there's also cryptcat
which I assume is only useful if the remote server has twofish
encryption enabled?

I suppose so. cryptcat makes then sense, when you use it as a
server. With *netcat*, you can use it as a server:

        nc -l -p $port

This way, you can pipe any content to the net:

        ls -la | nc -l -p 4711

You can then use netcat on a different system ("client system")
to connect to this port and pipe the output to somewhere else:

        nc $host $port

like so:

        nc $host 4711 > /tmp/ls.txt

Now you might want to encrypt the content. And that's where
cryptcat might be handy.

Alexander Skwar
--
I bought some used paint. It was in the shape of a house.
                -- Steven Wright