On 6/20/06, Mike Markowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Well, when I do it, I do it right.  Through a bad combination of typos
and missing an <enter> I deleted everything in /boot.  :-(

This is what I did to (try to) recover:

  # cd /boot
  # mklost+found
  # emerge grub
  [...edited grub.conf...]
  [...recompiled kernel & modules and installed...]

yep,  but  one thing you might had been missed is to setup grub, I've found it's much clear to do it  manually, you may refer to the gentoo manual as well. although everything is there, you have to run setup to make grub installed in MBR or the first sector of your boot partition.

I *thought* that's all I'd need, but upon boot up:

  Warning:unable to open an initial console
  Kernel panic- not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I compiled the kernel myself, not with genkernel.  I'm stumped at the
moment & would be glad to try any ideas anyone might have.

I'm not sure of this problem, since lots of stuff may cause this complain message.
make sure the kernel and root partition are correct in your grub.conf. try it.

Many thanks!
Mike