My understanding is that the major advantage of the 64-bit processors
is for memory address space (>4Gigs of virtual memory space without
PAE, technically 48 bits of address space, which is something like
128Terrabytes of addressable memory).

There must be some advantage associated with being able to hold two
long ints in one register (or some such relationship there).  Anyone
know detailed explanations for situations where 64-bit is more/less
beneficial and why?

--Mike

On 6/19/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 19 June 2006 20:26, kashani wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > you don't need a chroot.
> >
> > Just emerge firefox-bin for flash
> > and
> > mplayer-bin for wmv files.
> >
> > Everything else does not make problems.
>
> Depending on the video files you'd like to decode 32bit can make a
> difference. Many of the stranger codecs are supported through the win32
> codecs which are not 64bit safe or at least that's what I've read. I'd
> assume that qt, mp4, and wmv would generally be okay.

and this 'strange' codecs are covered by mplayer-bin too.