Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen <at> zlin.dk> writes:

> This removes everything in kde-base that is version 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 (and
> installed of course):

> # cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva kde-base/*-3.{2,3,4}*

Used this one. I'd rather clean it all out (KDE) and start over.

> This removes everything in kde-base. It's equivalent to Neils suggestion.

> # cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva kde-base/*

I then removed the monolithci packages by hand that are blocking
This is the command I used to see what is(was) blocking kde-meta:
emerge -uavDN kde-meta

> Also after removing old slots there may still be third party apps left that
> has
> been compiled against the old versions. They need to be remerged after the new
> version of kde has been emerged to compile them against the new version and
> remove the old cruft in /usr/kde/3.4 etc.

> This will show you what packages still have cruft in /usr/kde/3.2 - 3.4:

> # find /usr/kde/3.{2,3,4} | xargs equery belongs | cat

Ok I'll do this after emerging kde-meta completes. I hope I was not suppose
to do this before 'emerge -uavDN kde-meta' ????

Right now the (test) workstation is compiling kde-meta. When that is done,
I'll report back my results. This way, maybe other folks can have a
concise method to clean out the old kde kruft and get fresh kde-meta
or kde-split(dealer's choice...)

> Unmerge what you don't need or remerge (after emerging kde 3.5) what you still
> need. When you are done with that the above command should give no output and
> any files still in /usr/kde/3.2 - 3.4 can be safely deleted since they belong
> to no package. Pay attention to what you do though. A revdep-rebuild before
> this step will probably take care of most of this.

Before or after the emerge -uavDN kde-meta?

James