gentoo is vast. I've been at it for nearly two years
and I still only grok a tiny fraction of it. Get
ubuntu, breezy is the version I'm familiar with, and
do a generic install. Let it choose kernel config,
module config, fstab etc. Then you can compare and
contrast and your linux enlightenment will surely grow
:)