Benno Schulenberg wrote:
Alexander Skwar wrote:
Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Walter Dnes wrote:
>> several minutes at "Calculating world dependencies",
>
> You upgraded portage.  The einfos said to run 'emerge
> --metadata' first thing.

I'm also seeing this from time to time - "emerge -Duvat world"
just seems to take forever at the "Calculating world
dependencies" after I ran "eix-sync" which includes "emerge
--sync". And I haven't updated portage. Any ideas?

You're still at portage-2.0.*?

No. Portage 2.1.1_pre1-r1

The latest versions of those were known to be terribly slow at updating the cache. Sometimes.

Just like the current version, it seems? :) Yesterday, it took
about 30 Minutes to do "Calculating world dependencies". That *IS*
slow.

I don't think it's a missing "emerge --metadata", as the metadata
generation is included when running "emerge --sync" (Updating
Portage cache:  100%), isn't it?

Hrrrm.

Pardon?

 Yes it was a missing "emerge --metadata".

Sure? What's done in the "Updating Portage cache" step? Why is
"man emerge" saying, that --metadata is (sort of) run after a
--sync?

So, as I said, it's certainly not a missing --metadata run. What's
causing emerge to be so terribly slow sometimes? It's also not a
matter of load - I had nothing intensive running at this time, just
emerge, firefox (no flash site shown), thunderbird. In top, emerge
was shown as the most active process.

You will see when you upgrade.

Can't be done. This happened from time to time again for a long period
now. And it happens with the current version.

Alexander Skwar
--
Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always approve of Time's methods.