On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Javier Ubillos wrote:

I don't want to use genkernel, but I still want it to work.

you realy should use genkernel.... it's much easier.

mkinitrd --preload md_mod --with=md_mod initrd-2.6.16-gentoo-r9

well you should not use mkinitrd, if you refuse genkernel :-).
btw: md-mod is RAID (multiple devs), LVM is dm-mod (dev mapper).

In conclusion:
how do I get/make a working initrd so I can boot with my lvm2 root?

that's much work to do it your self.... start building ext2 images or cpio's with static busybox & lvm2 and write your own linuxrc (here you may cheat by looking into linuxrc from genkernel :-)). Don't forget to create dev-files and to include some modules.

Sascha.