I have just acquired an Epson 1660 Photo scanner and I am having real
trouble setting the permissions.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a howto that explains clearly
how you are supposed to get permissions sorted out using hotplug with
more recent 2.6 kernels. There's something about a script in
/etc/hotplug/usb, but nothing I can find that tells you what you are
supposed to do with it.

The scanner works fine when run as root.

The permssions of the usb device (/proc/usb/001/004 right at the moment)
are

-rw-rw---- root:scanner

However, even though user robert is a member of group scanner, he can't
get sane even to recognise the scanner. He can do it though if he chmods
to root:users or root:audio or to most of the other groups he is a
member of. On the other hand there are some other groups of which he is
a member which don't seem to be able to access the scanner -- floppy and
adm for instance.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks
Robert

--
 Neonlicht