On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> You don't need anything in package.mask to run Xorg 7, you just need to
> keyword the various packages as ~x86 in /etc/portage/package.keywords.
> Then you need to add some of the 7.1 packages to
> /etc/portage/package.mask to prevent the conflict with the nvidia stuff.
> My package.mask file contains
>
>  >~x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
>  >=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
>  >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vga-4.1.0
>  >=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0
>  >=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0
>  >=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1
>  >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv-1.1.2

So I have to put the above pkgs in /etc/portage/package.mask
and do:
wget -O - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-packages.txt >>
/etc/portage/package.keywords

After these steps I would be able to install Xorg & Xgl & Compiz with
"emerge -C xorg-x11 /virtual/x11 && emerge -DuNav world"
and following the instructions in the "Gentoo Xgl Howto" (
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL )

Is that correct? Because I really hate the idea of loosing another couple of
days
compiling X servers and downgrading to stable after all. ;-(

--
Best regards,
Daniel