On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:04:55AM +0000, Penguin Lover James squawked:
> Well I put udev in my /etc/portage/package.keyworks to get the latest
> version, thinking that might fix the problem. It do not.

I don't think that's necessary. It works perfectly fine on my system
with udev-087.

Could something else be setting the MODE/GROUP lines for those
devices? How'bout grepping for tty and null in other rule files?

What about /etc/conf.d/rc? Maybe you can toggle RC_DEVICES="udev" and
set RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"? (or maybe setting it to "yes" might give
you a work around?)

> # egrep tty 50-udev.rules <shows these lines>

<snip>

> Want to suggest specific changes to which lines?

The lines look the same as mine. Assuming you've been deligent about
updating the config files in /etc, I don't see a reason why the
default rule files provide by udev would be different.

> It looks as though the (mode) permissions and groups are getting
> set per the udev files?

Are they? I thought your problem is that the permissions and groups
were set different from what was specified in the rule files...

Best,

  Two people turned in problem set 12 without indicating their names!
  This is true scholarship, done for it's own sake and not for
 material advantage, like a grade.
  It is an honor to be associated with such nobility of soul.
       ~Prof. Kirk T. McDonald, DeathEM'03
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 18 days,  6:34