On 27 Jun 2006, at 12:44, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I need to install a pop3 server for very light usage.  So my wife can
pull her mail off my home lan linux server to her windows XP home box.

Why POP3 & not IMAP?

IMAP would allow her to keep the same view of her email whether accessing the mail from Outlook Express or webmail and leaves a master copy of the messages on the server, which is useful for backup. Should XP crash or need installation on the laptop then an IMAP server will allow you to return her mailboxes to the previous state just by setting up the account details & running a single sync.

I would consider looking at the Dovecot or Courier IMAP servers. When I looked at this before Christmas I decided that I preferred Dovecot, and installed that on a customer's production server which has been running happily since, but Courier is well-documented (many HOWTOs on the Gentoo site & on the Gentoo Wiki) and I have been running that at home for three years or so without a glitch.

Stroller. --