* Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

> >maybe he only accepts only authenticated users to relay ?
>
> There's a link on the webpage which explains the reason - apparently
> they would only accept messages with a From: address like
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] from my host. Anything which I've addressed
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] has to reach them via yahoo.com's servers.

Yeah, one server is for relaying traffic with @... *sender*, and
another is for incoming traffic *to the @yahoo.com domain.
They're separate, one doesn't accept the stuff for another.

<snip>

> >Doesn't postfix have some feature like sendmail's mailertable ?
>
> Yes. On Googling "mailertable" I am able to tell you that this
> appears to be exactly the same as /etc/postfix/transport
>
> So:
>   $ cat /etc/postfix/transport
>   lsv.uky.edu     :smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
> tells my server that anything going to lsv.uky.edu should relay via
> my outgoing SMTP account at smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk. This is a _little_
> clumsy for my purposes, but adequate.

hmm, looks okay for now.
Did you authenticate propery @smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk ?

<snip>

> >yeah, postfix gets confused by the "." MX reference for the domain
> >smtp1.mail.vip.ukl.yahoo.com. Although it is an unclean configuration,
> >I do not see what this has to do with your relay ... your postfix
> >just has to pull its mails (for yahoo.co.uk) to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk,
> >and it has an proper A record, so what does it need the MX record
> >for ?
>
> Ah, looking up <http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/mx.php3?
> domain=smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk> I see what you mean.
>
> I don't see why postfix is looking up the MX record for it, either.  :(

Maybe he's paranoid ?

> My immediate reaction is: what if I host a fake MX record for
> smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk on my internal DNS? I'm not sure of the
> implications of that.

hmm, you could hava a try.

> >BTW: if you don't get it fixed, you may get an UUCP account for
> >relay at my site.
>
> I think this would only satisfy mg1.uky.edu if you yourself relayed
> anything to its domain via Yahoo. And for that you would require an
> SMTP account with Yahoo.

My relays push the mails to the MX'es defined in the domains.
Maybe I missed the point, but I don't see why this shouldn't work.

cu