A couple of days ago my usual emerge -aDvu world came up with a monster
list of blocked packages -- the switchover to modular x11 is apparently now
obligatory.  Or is it something I did to make it spill over?

In any event, the web page on the topic says it's best to shut down X
during this (unlike prior x11 upgrades).  I'd like to choose the time to take
my system down -- I rely on it.  My recent KDE rebuild took a bit over 36 hours
not counting a failure in the middle that required manual reordering of
emerges.  I suppose this one will be similar.

So: is there something simple I can do to make portage ignore this update
but allow unrelated ones to go through?  Then I'll probably do the upgrade
when I'm done teaching summer school.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD