Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 12:21 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> > You're right, that's ONE of the points of using an initramfs.
>> Another
>> > point would be, that you're able to put / on LVM/Software-RAID.
>>
>> You don't need an initramfs to use Software RAID for /, as long as the
>> necessary modules are built into the kernel. You do need one for LVM.
>
> Why is that? Is it the user-space tools (vgscan, vgchange, etc) needed
> to find the volumes at start time?

Yes, exactly. As you just wrote, with LVM, you need to activate the
VGs, find the PVs and so on. For this, user-space tools are required.

Not so for Software RAID. According to Neil, the kernel can do all
that's required without the help of user-space tools. Neil might
be right in saying so - I'd suppose that he is right.

Alexander Skwar
--
Zoe: "Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain being missing."