On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:11:39 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> No, that still doesn't work. When the user unmerges kde-meta, with your
> proposal it will unmerge X11. The next step is that the user emerges
> gnome which first emerges X11 back again.

Except i this example you are likely to install GNOME before removing
KDE, otherwise you'd be left with no desktop.

> This isn't so bad with a
> binary distro if the packages are on a CD, but on gentoo it's murder.

If you have the disk space to spare, set FEATURES="buildpkg". Then
reinstalling a package is as quick as with a binary distro.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.