Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
> > > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible.  He doesn't
> > > know much about Linux but does know Windows.  What kind of things
> > > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server?  I don't have
> > > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
> > > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
> >
> > I assuming your server is a web host and it only is using port 80 (http)
traffic.

> I do log in via ssh (port 22 I think) and it's also a mail server.
> How can I check which ports are open?  Does shorewall handle that?

You may want to try a tool I just found:

kmyfirewall:

et-firewall/kmyfirewall
     Available versions:  0.9.6.2-r1 ~1.0-r2 ~1.0.1
     Installed:           0.9.6.2-r1
     Homepage:            http://kmyfirewall.sourceforge.net/

I just installed it, so I'm going to play around with it. In the handbook you
can use the advanced features to config a firewall
for a remote system.....

ymmv,

James