Richard Fish wrote:

> If you later take X out of your use flags, and do an emerge -DNuv
> world, the A no longer depends on B.  But since it is still in your
> world file, portage will assume you want this package, and continue to
> compile updates for it with each new version.  That can be a pretty
> huge waste of time.

Thanks! Good point!

--snip
>  Why not just merge the
> top-level package, and if you don't like it, unmerge and use
> --depclean --pretend to figure out what can safely be removed?

Because if I decide to keep it, all dependencies it pulls-in don't get
updated until the top-level package starts depending on a different
version of those packages. Actually this is the main reason I started
this practice.
"emerge --depclean" yells a big warning that it is broken.

> And I don't necessarily believe that having everything in world
> results in a significantly faster scan time than having only top-level
> packages there.  I would like to see actual proof of this assertion.
>
> -Richard

No, no! I'm saying just the opposite - the more packages you have
recorded in the world list, the slower scanning you get.

--
Best regards,
Daniel